Tuesday, January 19, 2010

And um, if a tree falls in the forest, if there's no one to hear it, does it make a sound?


(breakfast time)

Claire: Aw more waffle.

Claire: Aw more cereal.

Claire: Aw more wawa.


(Alex and Claire are playing in the sandbox, when a yell is heard from a neighboring yard.)
Alex: What was that? Was that a boy? Or a girl?
Daddy: I don’t know.
Alex: I think that was my neighbor.


Daddy: Alex, what did one taco shell say to the other taco shell?
Alex: Um, maybe when I was a soccer chell, um I would go um to a soccer shell, who was mad, to other shocker shell, (mumble), and he was mad at the other shocker shell.


(Dinner time, but Alex is not yet at the table, because he’s looking through the picture cards.)

Alex: He's sad because he wants a toy.

Alex: This is a banana for someone to eat.

Alex: Eyes, Daddy.
Daddy: Yeah, eyes.
Alex: One, two.
Alex: A cata -- what's this?
Daddy: That… is a caterpillar.
Alex: Caterpillar. That's a hard word, Daddy.
Alex: Telephone, Daddy. Mommy got – Mommy got a new – she got a new picture with a telephone on it.
Daddy: Yeah.
Alex: Look at these clouds, Daddy. That's where the airplanes go and fly through the clouds, and go under the clouds, and we can't see them.

Alex: A nest.
Mommy: That’s right, what's in the nest?
Alex: Um, eggs, and birds, live in there.
Mommy: That’s right.
Mommy: What comes outta the eggs?
Alex: Um, babies!
Mommy: Baby birds, that’s right.
Alex: Yeah baby birds.
Alex: Pumpkin.
Alex: Girls.
Mommy: They're sisters.
Alex: Sisters
Alex: This is a potato!
Mommy: Good job.
Alex: A potato, Daddy.
Daddy: Yeah.
Alex: Boy.
Mommy: What does he have on?
Alex (feeling his own coat): This.
Mommy: What is it?
Alex: A boy.
Mommy: Yeah but what does he have on?
Alex: A coat!
Mommy: Right.
Claire (eating at the table, but paying close attention): Coat.
Alex (looking at a picture of a rocket): Jacket.
Claire: Jacket.
Alex: Um no, sorry it's not that. Um, a rocket!
Mommy: Right.
Claire: Rocket!
Alex: And, hand!
Claire: Hand.
Alex: That's it! There's no more.
(Pause.)
Alex: May you get those cards from up there and I can do the other ones? What we have here?
Claire: Uh cards.
(Mommy gets the other cards for Alex.)
Alex: You can have those, Claire, I'll give you one.
Mommy: Oh don't give her one, her hands are a little bit messy.

(Alex puts a card, with a picture of a truck on it, on the table for Claire to look at.)
Claire: Truck. Trucka.
Mommy: Truck. Why is she putting As on the end of her words?
Claire: Trucka.
Mommy: It's a truck.
Claire: Truck.
Alex: I wanna do the rest. Bird, hat. Which one does Daddy want and Mommy want? Do you want this one, Daddy?
(Alex hands Daddy the picture of the bird.)
Daddy: Oh I got the hat!
(Alex hands Mommy the picture of the hat.)
Mommy: I got the bird!
Alex: You got the hat, and you got the bird, Daddy.
Mommy's hat picture (flying around): Tweet tweet!
Daddy (putting bird picture on head): I'm gonna put this on my head!
(Alex laughs.)

(Later, Alex is at the table, and Claire is playing with the cards.)
(Claire shows a card to Alex.)
Claire: Lion.
Alex: Lion.
Alex: I didn't get tomato sauce on it.
Alex (to Daddy): I didn't get tomato sauce on the card.
Daddy: Good.
(Claire shows another card to Alex.)
Claire: Fish. Fish.
Alex (to Claire): After -- after I drinking my water. I was thirsty.
(Alex drinks his water.)
Claire: Ah-wah? Ah-wah? Ah-wah? Ah-wah?
Alex: I'm done. Um, that's a fish. Can I see?
Claire: I see.
Alex: Okay.
Claire: I see!
Alex: Okay, I just said. Get another card, oh they're on the box.
(Claire shows another card to Alex.)
Claire: Seh-kee.
Alex: Star.
Claire: Stah.
(Claire picks up another card.)
Claire: Seh-kee.
Alex: Yeah that was. That was the fire I was looking for. The fire engine. The fi – yeah, the fire engine.
Claire: Juh engine.
(Claire sits on the box.)
Daddy: Claire, don't sit on the end, because you'll just fall off.
Alex: Can I see? Bring it over here.
(Claire brings the next card to Alex.)
Alex: Monkey.
Claire: Monkey.
Alex: Monkey. Climbing up a tree.
(Claire gets another card.)
Claire: Tree.
Alex: Tree.
Claire: Tree. Tree.
Alex: It's a tree. Don't tell me again.

(Claire shows another card to Alex.)
Alex: Children.
Claire: Children.

Daddy: Alex, if monkeys could drive cars, would they drive fast or slow?
Alex: They would drive on my wall, and they would drive wall, and they would drive slowly, and they would drive on my ladder, and they would drive slow, and they would drive fast, and they would drive slow, and they would drive fast again, and they would break the ladder up!

Alex: When Daddy was a eye, what would you do with a soccer shell?
Daddy: Um, I would eat it.
Alex: And you would go down to the Island of Sodor?
Alex: And um, if a tree falls in the forest, if there's no one to hear it, does it make a sound?
Mommy: Good job, honey!
Alex: Was it a sock -- a soccer shell? Maybe it was!

(Claire wants a Hershey’s kiss.)
Claire: Aw chocka.
Claire: Please?

Claire: I want chocka. Please?
Mommy: You hear her?
Daddy: Mm-hm.
Claire: Please?

Daddy (to Alex): What does chocolate taste like?
Alex: Candy. And my Nemo candy has ingredients on it, and it has peanuts in it. And if I eat peanuts, Mommy will take me to the doctor, and they will take me to the hospital, and they will call the ambulance, and I will ride in the ambulance, and I will go to the hospital, and they will give me a shot!
Daddy: Yeah?
Alex: Mm-hm!


Daddy (singing): I'm a daddy, and my name is Daddy
Alex (singing): And my name is Alex… all, day, long!


(bath time)
Alex: Can you get in the bathtub and you be a giant when you take your clothes off?

(Alex pours water into Dragon's mouth.)
Dragon: I like water. This is yummy.

Elmo: But that's my seat to drive. I drive it every day, it's my seat.


(bed time)
Alex: I will say your words first.
Daddy: Okay.
Alex: We will get up, and come back upstairs, and get my door, and you will take my door downstairs so I can go out it, and I will go out the other door, and out the other door, and out the other door, and out the other door, and out the other door, and out the other door, and out the other door, and out the other door, and that's a circle!

No comments:

Post a Comment