Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Because I like Claire.


(Alex and Claire come home from school.)
Alex: Daddy! Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!
Daddy: Hi Alex!
Alex: Can you take the rest of my coat off?
Daddy: Yeah.
Claire: Dada! Dada! Dada! Dada!
Alex: I'm tired.


Alex: You play trains and I'm gonna lie down on the couch.


(The TV is off, and Alex notices the reflection in it.)

Alex: There's a picture of my house on the TV. Of us!
Daddy: Yeah, who do you see?
Alex: Alex, Daddy, Claire. And Grommie's tail!

Alex: Look at Alex bouncing up and down on the sofa on the TV.


Alex: Um, can you hold the bag while I hold my little baby?
Daddy: Yeah.
Alex: And she has a hat on to go outside!


(getting into the car)
Alex: I can't do anything in the car, you have to do everything.
Daddy: Okay.
Alex: Inside, I can't do everything what I need.


(Alex, Claire, and Daddy are riding in the car, looking at things.)

Alex: Did Mommy take your car?
Daddy: Yeah.
Alex: And you’re taking Mommy’s car?
Daddy: That's right.
Alex: She's trading with you?
Daddy: That's right!
Alex: You picked the car you want?
Daddy: Yes, I did.

Alex: Are we going home?
Daddy: No, we’re gonna look at houses, aren’t we?
Alex: Yeah. I think we’re gonna look for everything. And a pumpkin with no house with it.

Alex: I thought that was a dog saying “chirp chirp, chirp chirp, chirp chirp”. I think that was a chicken.
Daddy: Maybe that was a chicken.
Alex: In the barn. Let’s look for the barn too.

Alex: Are we gonna look at houses some more?
Daddy: Would you like to?
Alex: No, I want to look at some other things.
Daddy: What would you like to look at?
Alex: I wanna look for tall trees.

Alex: Houses have doors. That's silly. We don't bring doors up houses.
(Alex laughs.)
Alex: That – that was silly. That’s silly, Daddy.
Daddy: It sure is.

Alex: Next time that you didn't get a sandwich?
Daddy: What did you say?
Alex: That you didn’t get a sandwich? ‘Cause the truck was too slow?
Daddy: Yeah.

Alex: Piglet’s here, Daddy.

Alex: That truck’s not too slow. It’s going really fast.
Daddy: That’s right.
Alex: Are you gonna get a sandwich now?
Daddy: No, I'm gonna go home and eat dinner with Alex and Claire and Mommy.
Alex: Why are you gonna get a sandwich?
Daddy: I’ll get a sandwich some other time.

Alex: Did we look at houses?
Daddy: Yeah.
Alex: Is Mommy home?
Daddy: Yes.
Alex: I want both Mommy and Daddy to rub my foot together.

Alex: And no one called me to go get bristle blocks.
Daddy: Was that okay?
Alex: No. I just did animals. One thing.
Daddy: Did that make you happy?
Alex: No. But I was a little bit sad.


(dinner time)

Mommy (to Claire): Yucky. Why did you do that Claire? That's yucky.
Daddy: Alex, you know what else is yucky?
Alex: Yep.
Daddy: What? What's yucky?
Alex: Mud.

Mommy: Alex, what's tomorrow?
(Pause.)
Alex: No school? Saturday!
Mommy: Nope.
Alex: Tuesday!
Mommy: No, Thursday.
Alex: Thursday!
Mommy: Thanksgiving Day!
Alex: Thanksgiving Day!

Mommy: And what are we gonna eat for Thanksgiving?
Alex: Punkin pie.

(Daddy explains the concept of “thankful” to Alex.)
Daddy: … like Daddy is thankful for Mommy, because I like Mommy, and I'm glad to have her.
Daddy: What is Alex thankful for?
Alex: Because I like Claire.
Mommy: Aw, that's sweet. What do you think Grommie is thankful for?
Alex: Um, he likes Claire too.

No comments:

Post a Comment