Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Aw more. More. Please.


(watching Sesame Street)
Claire: Elmo!
Daddy: That’s right!
Claire: Elmo!
Alex: Elmo, Claire. And that's his email to check. It looks like a TV. Can you say "TV"?


(breakfast)

Alex: Clifford doesn’t fit in schooled. He’s too big. He’s really really really big.

Alex: I don’t like it when I have a burp in my mouth from eating bread all the time.

Alex: When I was a baby, I was sad because I have a burp too.


Alex: Can I cry when I get to school?
Daddy: Yeah. Do they have a crying rug at school?
Alex: No, they just have carpets.


(dropping Alex off at school)

Alex: School makes me sad.
Daddy: Aww. Does it make you a little bit happy?
Alex: No.
Daddy: Do your friends make you happy?
(Alex shakes his head.)
Daddy: What makes you happy?
Alex: Home.


(Daddy abandons the McDonald’s drive-thru because it’s moving too slowly.)

Alex (to Daddy): You can get a sandwich later.

Alex: The truck will move in a minute, and go to another store, and then you can get a sandwich, and you can get a sandwich, and you can… find where the sandwich store is.


(nap time)
Alex: Play in the backyard, play playroom, play trains, wake up Claire, come and close my door.


Alex: I want my Christmas tree now.


Alex: I was mad because I wanted to snuggle up with all my things in my bed.


Alex (singing to himself, playing with animals): I can’t sing, with the tiger it’s not nice, he hits me, and I put him in timeout, and I put him here, I put him right here, and I dance…


Mommy: Alex, it’s time to wash hands.
Alex: But I’m talking to Grover. I don’t wanna wash hands.
Mommy: Alex, it’s time to eat.
Alex: I wanna go straight to bed.
Mommy: All right, I’ll tell Daddy to take you to bed.
Alex: No!


Alex: Daddy, you see that picture with pie on it, chocolate pie on it?
Daddy: Yeah?
Alex: Can you hold it?
Daddy: Well, Mommy’s reading it right now.
Alex: But you can –
Alex (in his “you’re silly” voice): You’re not Mommy, you’re Daddy!
Daddy: Yeah, I’m Daddy.


Alex: You have to not change your mind, Claire. That makes Mommy mad.


(dinner time)

(Mommy is flipping through Runner’s World.)

Claire: I see. I see.
Mommy: You wanna see? What’s that?
Claire: Car.

Mommy: What’s that? Man. Can you say “man”?
Claire: Man.
Mommy: Good job.
Claire: I see.
Mommy: Hang on.
Claire: I see.
Mommy: Hang on.

Claire: I see.
Mommy: What’s that?
Alex: That’s a man.
Alex: Can I see some more pictures on there?
Mommy: Okay.
Mommy: What’s this, Claire?
Mommy (to Alex): Let Claire say it, okay?
Mommy (to Claire): What’s that?
Claire: Apple.
Mommy: What?! What’s that?
Alex: Shoe.
Mommy: Yeah. It’s a shoe, Claire.
Claire: Dog.
Mommy: Right!
Claire: I see.
Mommy: Well, hang on, I need to see – I need to find something for you to look at.
Claire: Dog.
Mommy: Let’s find something fun to look at.
Claire: I see!
Mommy: Okay, hang on, Claire!
Claire: Apple.
Claire: Aw more. Aw more.
Mommy: There is no more. There’s no more broccoli.
Claire: Aw more. Aw more.
Mommy: Unless Alex wants to give you some of his.
(Alex gives Claire a piece of his broccoli.)
Mommy: Oh look at that! That was so nice!
Alex: Can I look at that?
Mommy: Yeah, let me find a good picture.
Claire: I see. I see.
Mommy: Okay, what’s that?
Alex: A tiger.
Mommy: It’s a mountain lion.
Mommy: What’s that?
Alex: It’s a man.
Alex: What’s he doing?
Mommy: He runs with no shoes on.
Alex: And what – where is he sitting?
Mommy: He’s sitting on a bench.
Claire: Aw see. Dog.
Mommy: Dog. And what’s that?
Claire: Dog.
Mommy: Man. What kind of man is that? Do you know, Alex?
Alex: A dog man.
Mommy: Yeah. A police officer. Who uses dogs.

Claire: I see.
Mommy: ‘Kay hang on, Claire.
Claire: I see. Car.
Mommy: Cars, right.
Claire: Car.
Mommy: Yeah and somebody walking.
Alex: Hello, what is that? I wanna see! I wanna see!
Mommy: Don’t freak out.
Alex: Where are they going?
Mommy: Mmm, to work.
Alex: Where’s work?
Mommy: Mmm, down the road.
Mommy: Alex, there are more chicken nuggets, but you need to eat a piece of broccoli if you want them.
Alex: No!
Mommy: Okay.
(Alex eats a piece of broccoli.)
Mommy: What’s that?
Alex: A motorcycle.
(Claire mumbles.)
Mommy: Yeah a robot.
Alex: And what’s he doing?
Mommy: Running.
Alex: And why is he doing that?
Mommy: I don’t know.
Alex: Can I see? I wanna see the calendar. I wanna see the calendar.
Mommy: I don’t wanna get the calendar.
Claire: I see!
Alex: Did you put it on the door?
Mommy: Yeah.
Alex: Why can’t we look at it?
Mommy: I don’t feel like getting it.
Alex: That. Can we look at your magazine?
Mommy: Yeah.
Alex: What’s that?
Claire: Fuh.
Mommy: Foot!
Alex: I wanna see those. What are those?
Mommy: People, running. It’s a drawing of people.
Alex: What’s that?
Mommy: Foot. The foot?
Alex: And leg?
Mommy: And leg.
Alex: I’m kicking your computer.
Daddy: Please don’t.
Alex: And that.
Daddy: Alex, please don’t kick the table.
Mommy: He has on a green wig. And hair. He has on green hair.
(Alex laughs.)
Alex: We’re not going outside? We’re not going outside?
Daddy: No it’s too late, it’s dark out.
Alex: Why is it dark?
Daddy: Because it’s late.
Alex: We have to go in our beds?
Daddy: That’s right.
Alex: Um. May I have more broccoli?
Mommy: More broccoli? You have more broccoli on your plate.
Alex: I want more chicken nuggets.
Mommy: You have one on your plate.
Alex: Ah? Bas? I want more – I want more honey mustard.
Claire: Aw more. Aw more.
Mommy: Gosh you guys are hungry.
Claire: Aw more.
Mommy: What do you want more of? The broccoli? We don’t have any more.
Claire: Aw see. Aw see.
(Alex gives Claire a piece of broccoli. Claire attempts to give it back.)
Mommy: Oh you don’t want that one? (laughing) Oh, you want it.
(Claire giggles as she eats the piece of broccoli.)
Mommy: Alex, how do you ask for more honey mustard?
Alex: Please.
Alex: Bababababa! Doh doh doh doh doh doh doh doh doh doh.
Claire: Doh doh.
Alex: Dohhhhhhhh!
Mommy: Alex, what should Mommy and Daddy have for dinner?
Alex: Um – a sandwich.
Mommy: What kind of sandwich?
Alex: (mumble) you have a sandwich.
Mommy: What kind of sandwich?
Alex: Um, green.
Mommy: Green sandwich?
Alex: Yeah, green.
Mommy: Doesn’t sound very yummy.
(Alex mumbles.)
Mommy: I guess that was a lot of honey mustard for one chicken nugget.
Mommy: Claire, you still have a lot of oranges left. Are you still hungry?
Claire: More.
Mommy: Gosh Claire, you’re eating a lot.
Alex: I want more chinuggets please.
Mommy: Chinuggets?
Mommy: I want you to eat more broccoli, please.
Alex: I will give Claire one of those.
Mommy: That will be nice.
(Alex gives Claire a piece of broccoli.)
Mommy: Claire, why are you playing in there? You eat it, Claire.
Claire: Aw see. Aw see.
Mommy: I see!
Claire: Aw see. Aw see!
Mommy: You wanna see? They’re running in the snow.
Alex: Why are they running in the snow?
Mommy: ‘Cause it snowed and they wanna run.
Alex: And are they run – are they running up over the hill?
Mommy: They sure are. She’s running fast down the hill.
Claire: Oh. Fass.
Mommy: What?
Claire: Foot.
Mommy: Yeah?
Claire: Fass.
Mommy: She’s running fast. Right.
Claire: Fass. Run.
Alex: I wanna – I want that last chicken nugget.
(Mommy puts her hand to her ear.)
Alex: Please.
(Mommy gives Alex the last chicken nugget.)
Claire: More.
Mommy: What do you want more of? Do you want toast?
Alex: I want bread.
Mommy: Bread. Do you want bread or toast, Claire?
Claire: More.
Mommy: You don’t care? You just want more.
Alex (indicating the honey mustard): Can I dip my broccoli in here?
Daddy: Yeah.
Alex (to Mommy): Daddy said I could dip more food in here.
Alex: Ahahaha!
Mommy: Is it good, with honey mustard on it?
(Mommy goes to check her email, but she’s still within earshot.)
Claire: Dah dah doh doh doh.
Bread: Hi plate. Hi plate.
Mommy: Hi bread.
Alex: Hi computer.
Daddy: Hi bread.
Mommy: Are you typing what Alex is saying?
Daddy: Yeah.
Mommy: Oh.
Alex: Hi. Hi Claire.
Claire: Uh-wuh-wuh.
Alex (playing with his bread): Up the ship on the board.
Claire: Ow. Ow.
Alex (playing with his bread): Mow, mow, mah, mah. Mah.
Claire: Mama!
Mommy: Claire bear!
Bread: Aw fee feh! Yay!

Alex: Can I see them running in the snow again? Mommy!
Mommy: Yes?
Alex: I want you to come sit in your chair!
Mommy: Ok, hang on honey.

Alex (to Daddy): You take my bread.
Daddy: What is that?
Alex: It’s a ship board.
Daddy: It’s a ship board?
Alex: Yeah.
Daddy: I don’t need your ship board.

Alex: Um, Lucy said that. I’m a ship board. And the (mumble) ship board – the ship board was getting squished. And now Lucy’s covered up! And now the ship board is flying, and it’s rolling. It’s row.
Claire: More. More. More.
Alex: And now she’s out the ship board. And she’s in the water.
Daddy: What do you need more of, Claire?
Alex: Um, Rosie’s here. Rosie’s here. Rosie took my food! Rosie took my food, Daddy.
Daddy: Okay.
Claire: More. More.
Daddy: What do you need more of, Claire?
Alex: Can you talk to Lucy?
Daddy (getting bread for Claire): Okay, hang on.

Alex: I want more bread too. With no butter.
(Daddy gives bread to Claire and Alex.)
Alex: Yay yay yay yay yay!
Alex (playing with his bread): The ship board is really big. Look at this. The ship board is –- a sh, I made a sandwich.
Claire (dipping bread in orange juice): Way woo.
Alex: (mumble) in the snow.
Alex: Now there’s snow in the –- in the –- in the water.

Daddy: What’s wrong?
Alex: Nothing.
Alex (with too much bread in his mouth): Napkin.
(Daddy gets Alex a napkin, which Alex uses to spit his bread into.)
Claire (pointing to the loaf of bread): Aw dah.
Daddy: Claire, eat the bread you have.
Claire: Aw more. More. Please.
Daddy: Did you say “please”?!
Claire: More.
Claire (laughing): Please.
Claire: Plez.
(Claire laughs.)
Daddy: Okay, more bread for you. Here, eat this bread. Claire, eat this bread and I’ll get you some more.
Alex: I got the rest.
Daddy: The rest of what?
Alex: The rest of the bread.
Alex (getting some of the spit-out bread from his bib): So there’s some in here. Ah. Yuck.
Alex: Here you go. It’s yucky bread. I don’t like too much in my mouth. I just want a little bit in there.
Daddy: Okay.
Alex: I just want a little piece. I want a tiny piece of bread. Not a big one. Just a tiny piece at a time. Will you get a little one for me? Will you get a little one?
Daddy: Yes.
Alex: Will you take it with some pieces?

(Daddy gets more bread for Alex and Claire.)
Alex: This is a piece. Not – not – not it bigger.
Daddy: Okay, you can rip it up if it’s too big.
Alex (ripping it): Okay, and I gonna put this on the table, so I have a little piece.
Daddy: Okay.
Alex: Now I have a little piece now. I didn’t have too much.
(Claire makes her bread fly around.)
(Alex makes his bread fly around.)

Alex: I feed him.
Claire: Aw dog.
Daddy: Don’t feed the dog, please.
Alex: That’s it. Now I’m not feeding him.
Daddy: Okay.
Alex: Claire’s feeding him. Look at Claire.
Daddy: She’s not feeding him.
Alex: He – she is!
Daddy: No, she’s just holding it.
Alex: Claire, don’t feed that dog. Can you put it on your plate and eat it? Can you eat it? Eat the big piece. What you have in your hand. And these pieces. What you have on your plate. One on your plate and one on your tray and (mumble) what you have in your hand, you eat it. It’s yummy. Are you all done? No. Just (mumble) Claire.
(Claire just stares silently at Alex throughout this speech.)
(Pause.)
Alex: Ah! Ch. Ch. Ch. Ch.
Alex: Can I bring Mommy’s magazine? I – I wanna get down and bring Mommy’s magazine to her so I can see the snow.
Claire: Aw dow.
Alex: Okay, Daddy? Claire’s all done. She ate a lot of food. Now dinner’s over, Daddy. Dinner’s over.
Daddy: You guys ready to get down?
Alex: Yeah, and dinner’s already over.
Daddy: Claire, you ready to get down?
Alex: Thanksgiving is over. And now we’re gonna have another Thanksgiving.
Claire (hiding behind her bib): Wooh!
Alex: May I get down please?
Claire (hiding behind her bib): Hi. Hi. Hi.
Alex: Doh! Doh! Duh-duh-doh. Dooohhhhhhh.
Alex: Rosie took my food. Rosie.
Daddy: Well, let’s get you guys down then, okay?
Alex: She took my food.
(Daddy gets Alex down.)
Claire (pulling off her bib): Uh bi. Uh dow. Uh dow. Uh bi.
(While Daddy gets Claire down, Alex runs over to Mommy.)
Claire (upset): Mama! Mama! Mama! Mama!
Alex: Can I show you the magazine?
Mommy: Yeah.
Alex: Mama? Here you go.
Mommy: Okay, thank you.
Claire (running to Mommy): Mama! Mama.
(Pause.)
(Claire fusses.)
Daddy: What’s going on, guys?
(Silence.)


No comments:

Post a Comment