Saturday, June 25, 2011

I think we need a man to do that.

(watching TV)

Alex: Spud loves cake.
Claire: Yeah. He really does.


(Claire is helping Mommy in the garden. Mommy is trying to clean out some dirt.)
Claire: I think we need a man to do that.


Alex: Daddy, we’re makin’ the best playset ever!
Daddy: Yeah? That’s awesome, that’s great!
Alex: We’re makin’ it a beanstalk, a jungle beanstalk with lots of vines and leaves!


(Alex and Claire have made a pretend boat.)
Alex: We’re in our boat, floating!



(after nap)

Alex: Claire, I can build you a farm downstairs.
(Claire is still sleepy and doesn’t respond.)
Alex: I have to build it really quick, because I need to build a beach house today.


(Mommy is reading a book.)
Claire: Mommy. Will. You. Play. Wi. Ith. Me.
Claire: Pleeeeease?
Mommy: Okay, I’ll play with you.


Claire: I found a green leaf.


(Claire and Alex are playing by themselves in the back yard. Alex runs inside.)
Alex: Daddy! Claire has a bug on her!
(Claire is standing atop the small slide, wailing.)


(Alex is trying hard to get Daddy to turn on the TV.)

Alex (to Daddy): If you do what I want, I’ll let you do what you want.
Alex: That’s my rule.

Alex: You listen to me, and I listen to you.
Daddy: Okay, I’m listening.
Alex: If you do what I want, I’ll let you do what you want. I said this, like, three times. And you didn’t listen.
Daddy: I don’t agree to your terms.
Alex: You need to work it out.
Alex: You need to work it out, Daddy.
Alex: You need to work it out.


(Claire's PJ shirt has a skirt-like ruffle on it.)
Claire: Daddy, watch me spin with these bumpy things on!
(She spins.)
Daddy: Yeah!
Claire: I put my toes up, and I spin!
(She spins.)
Daddy: Yeah!
Claire: And my hair moves.

Claire (to Alex): Keep your toes up, when you spin, and you have to keep your toes up.

(The kids have just had a bath.)
Claire: Daddy, do you want to smell me?
Daddy: Yes I do.
(Daddy smells.)
Daddy: Mmmm, sweet and clean.

Claire: Daddy, can you get me a purple bag? Can Mommy get me, can Mommy get me a purple bag? A little purple bag?
Daddy: Um, we'll have to see if we can find one.
Claire: ‘Kay. I have purple glasses. So we have to see if we can get a purple bag for me. At the store.


(Alex is in bed, but he can’t sleep because his stuffy nose is bothering him a lot. Daddy talks to him about it, until Alex interrupts.)
Alex: Daddy?
Daddy: Yes, Alex?
Alex: I know you’re trying to make me feel better, just my brain is too mushy to think about lots of things.

Alex: Maybe I could make a medicine store tomorrow. I could try to build one.

Daddy: Try to get some rest.
Alex: Daddy, my nose is stuffed up: I can’t rest. And my brain is still thinking about my nose.



(Claire throws up in her bed in the middle of the night. Mommy is cleaning her up.)
Claire: Can I have chocolate cake for snack?

No comments:

Post a Comment