Thursday, June 2, 2011

I need coffee!

Alex: It looks like Dora's saying "beevabay!"


(Claire is talking about Ashley and Morgan.)
Claire: Yeah because, I love those two friends. They're my -- I love those, friends.


Alex: Before we had this house, I didn’t have Elly and Bobo, right?
Daddy: Well… before we had this house, you weren’t born yet. So I guess you didn’t have anything.
Alex: Well, before we had this house, did Mommy buy Elly and Bobo? Did Mommy buy these?
Daddy: Yes.
Alex: Oh.
Daddy: ‘Cause we – we knew that they were your friends.
Claire: Did – um, did you – um, did Mommy buy Juju and Mallory?
Daddy: Yes.
Claire: Oh.
Alex: Why did you know that they were my friends?
Daddy: Well, I think – we could just tell. I mean, Elly looked like she was made just for you.
Claire: Is all – Daddy is all my friends gonna go on a airplane?
Daddy: No I think just you’re gonna go on a airplane.
Claire: And think Morgan and Ashley are – is gonna go on a airplane too.
Daddy: Well, if they do they’re not going on our airplane, they might go on a different airplane sometime.
Claire: Oh.
Alex: I think they’re going on a space shuttle.
Daddy: You think they’re going on a space shuttle?
Alex: Yeah, I have a space shuttle.
Daddy: Yeah?


(driving to school)
Claire: Is Grommie at the, um, doggie hotel?
Daddy: No, Grommie’s still at our house today, he’ll go to the doggie hotel --
Alex: No, no! Can I tell her?
Daddy: Okay.
Alex: Um, he’ll go to the doggie hotel when we’re away.
Claire: Oh.
Alex: When – when we go on the airplane to the Tyler Place.
Claire: Oh.
(Pause.)
Alex: We’ve been talkin’ about this all week. Right, Daddy?
Daddy: Right.

(A high school kid walks by the car, chewing gum.)
Alex: He has bubble gum.
Daddy: He does?
Alex: See, Daddy?
Daddy: Yeah, looks like he’s chewin’ bubble gum.
Claire: Oh yeah, there is bubble gum.
Alex (smiling): Yesterday, um, Miss Gibson had bubble gum, and she made bubbles, because we wanted to see her bubbles.
Daddy: Oh.
Alex: And they popped a lot.
(Pause.)
Alex: They popped a lot, Daddy.
Daddy: Yeah.
Daddy: That’s funny.

Alex: Maybe we’ll do something fun at school today.
Daddy: Like what?
Alex: I don’t know.
Daddy: I bet you’ll do something fun.

(Arriving at school, Daddy parks in Claire’s favorite parking space.)
Claire: We’re parking over here today!
Daddy: You like parking over here?
Claire: Yeah.
Daddy: I know you do.

(Claire stands at the end of the sidewalk.)
Claire: One, two, three, four, go! One two three four, go!
(Claire runs toward the school.)
Alex: Wait! Claire, I need to hold the door for you!
(Alex runs after her.)



(Alex and Claire come home from school.)

Alex (to Daddy): You know that dinosaur bones building? I need to build it today.
Daddy: Okay.
Alex: You need to help me go fast.
Daddy: Okay.
Claire: Help me go fast too.
Alex (to Claire): I need you – I need you to be Benny and --
Claire: I’m not gonna be Benny!
Alex: Who are you gonna be?
Claire: I’m gonna be… Claire.
Alex: Well I need you to be in this job, Claire.
Claire: I don’t want to be Benny.
Alex: But we – but Claire, we don’t have time to play today because uh, we have to pack for the Tyler Place.
Claire (emphatically): I – don’t want – to be – Benny.
Alex (upset): This is a big job, Claire.
Claire (even more emphatically): I don’t want to be Benny!
Alex (running off): Stop, I’m getting away from you!
Claire (running off the other way): I’m gonna get away from you too!



(Claire sees the Black Dog shirt, which is hers now that Alex grew out of it.)
Claire: A long, long time, I had this shirt.
Alex: A long, long time, I had this shirt. Ernie gave it to me.


Alex: Daddy, can you help me? I'm gonna build a dinosaur museum.


(Alex rides by on his little car.)
Alex: I'm off to get some more poles. I need to put it -- I'm gonna put it on the back.

(Alex asks Claire to help find some more poles.)
Claire: Here's a pole! Here's a pole!
Alex: No, I need a real pole. That's a tissue box. That's not a pole.

Claire: I'm not gonna play with you. I'm not gonna play with you.
Alex: But, are you finding a pole with me though?

Alex (out of the blue, to Mommy and Daddy): Well, this is a big job, and I have to do it fast. And I'm trying. But I don't think I'm gonna make it. But I'm trying my best.


Claire (excitedly): Mommy!! Play with me!!


(Alex is wearing Daddy's shoes, and Claire is wearing Mommy's shoes.)
Daddy: Hi, Mommy! Hi, Daddy!
Alex: Hi! Let's go get a Diet Coke!
(Daddy laughs.)
Alex: I need coffee!
Alex: Mocha! Mocha! I got a mocha!


(bed time)
Alex (sadly): I don't wanna sleep at The Tyler Place.


(Alex talks about his bad dream.)
Alex: And I saw a bush that talked.
Alex: I didn't like it.
Alex: It told me not to go home.
Alex: But I asked it. I asked it.
Alex: When I walked past it, all of a sudden I heard it talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment