Friday, July 29, 2011

Oh, in this house?

(Alex wakes up early, and is trying to wake up Daddy. He traces his finger on Daddy's forehead.)
Alex: I wrote my name on your brain.



Claire: I like to pet… I like to pet, um… I like to pet stuff animals.
Daddy: Yeah?
Claire: Not stuff animals. Stuff real animals.
Daddy: Yeah?
Claire: I like to pet stuff real animals. Stuff real animals at the farm.
Alex: Well, stuff animals at the farm are not really stuff animals, they're real animals.
Claire: Yeah, real stuffed animals.




(The kids come home from school.)

Alex: Daddy! We went to the car wash!

Claire: Daddy, we go to the car wash!
Daddy:Yeah?
Claire: And we la -- we -- we -- we -- and it washed our car, and put soap on it, and, and, and we laughed at it!



Claire: Daddy, on Dinosaur Day? Um, on Dinosaur Day? On Dinosaur Day? Um --
Alex (teasing): On Dinosaur Day? On Dinosaur Day?
(Claire smiles.)
Mommy: Alex. That's not nice.
Alex: But Claire smiled at me.
Mommy: Okay.
Claire: On Dinosaur Day? Um, on Dinosaur Day? On Dinosaur Day, um, my friend said, "Let's watch Dinosaur Bones."
Daddy: Oh!



(Mommy is dressed up to go to a wedding.)
Claire: Why'd you get those new shoes?
Mommy: I just pulled them out of my closet, they were in my closet.
Claire: And why'd you get that new dress? Where'd that, new dress, came from?
Mommy: It was in my closet.

Claire: Where did that, where did that bracelet be?
Mommy: It was in my closet.
Claire: Where is it in your closet?
Mommy: What?
Claire: Where is it in your closet?
Mommy: It was in there, honey.
Claire: But where did it be, in your closet?
Mommy: It was in there, in my jewelry box.
Claire: Oh, where was your jewelry box?
Mommy: In my closet.
Claire: But where was your jewelry box?
Mommy: On the floor, in my closet.

(A little later.)
Claire: What did that butterfly come from?
Mommy: I had it in my bathroom.
Claire: U -- upstairs?!
Mommy: Upstairs, yeah.
Claire: Upstairs in our house?
Mommy: Yeah.
Claire: Oh, in this house?
Mommy: Yeah.
Claire: Where we are?
Mommy: What?
Claire: Where we are?
Mommy: For real!
Claire: Oh!
Claire: Where Daddy is?

(A little later, Mommy has already said goodbye to both kids, and is heading out the door.)
Claire: Where did you get that bag from?
Mommy: It was in the playroom, I got it from the playroom.
Claire: But where did it be?
Mommy: It was in the playroom.
Claire: But where did it be in it?
Mommy: What?
Claire: Where did it be in it?
Mommy: Where was it?
Claire: Yeah.
Mommy: It was in the dress-up clothes.
Claire: Oh.



(dinner)

Claire: Daddy?
Daddy: Yes?
Claire: How do -- how do grown-ups put their shirts on? By theirselves?

(Alex suddenly remembers that Mommy used to give Claire a bottle during songs, when Claire was "sort of a baby".)
Daddy: What made you think of that?
Alex: I just keep remembering.
Alex (smiling): I'll write it down in my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment