Friday, July 30, 2010

Uh more chicken nuggets.



Claire: Friends at ‘chool. Play at ‘chool. Play at home.
Daddy: Yeah. Play at school, play at home, that's your life.
(Pause.)
Claire: Be happy at ‘chool. Be happy at ‘chool.
Daddy: Be happy at school?
Claire: Yeah.


Alex: Daddy?
Daddy: Yeah.
Alex: In the big storm, it blew pine needles onto the deck.
Daddy: Yeah.
Alex: That was crazy.


(Snack time. Alex holds up his hand to shield his eyes from Claire.)
Alex: I'm blockin’ Claire so she can't see me.


(Alex is building a machine.)
Alex (to Claire): You’re messing up the pipe – you messed up that querkle. The pipe doesn't want you to mess up the querkle.


Alex (to Mommy): I have to do measuring first. Measuring with my hammer.
Mommy: Okay, do your measuring.
Alex: The measuring’s not good. It’s dangerous. So I have to do it.


Alex: Claire won't play with me, someone else will have to play with me.


(Alex talks into a Lego “phone”.)

Alex: Hi. Do you have any quirks?

Alex: Hiii. I'm a new baby. Do you have a new baby at home?
(Pause.)
Alex: I just have circles for you. Bye.


(dinner time)

Daddy: Claire, do you color at school?
Claire: Yeah.
Daddy: Good! What else do you do at school?
Claire: Play toys.

Claire: Mommy? Mommy?
Mommy: Yeah
Claire (laughing): Uh more chicken nuggets.
(Claire laughs to herself, silently.)
Claire (still laughing at her own private joke): Ha, hahaha. Ha, hahaha.

Claire (chanting): Alex Alex Alex Alex
Alex (whining): Don’t say my name! I’m trying to eat!

Alex: Daddy?
Daddy: Yes, Alex.
Alex: Yesterday when we were at the new bookstore and Claire hurt her lip on the stairs, I didn’t want you to walk away from me, and, you have to stay with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment