Saturday, May 7, 2011

One day, when – when I’m older, Daddy can we play baseball in the back yard?

(Daddy drives Alex to soccer practice. As they pull out of the driveway, Alex’s sees his bedroom window.)
Alex: My window’s right there.
Daddy: Yeah.
Alex: Your windows are go to the back yard and so does Claire, but um, I have windows, I have windows and the playroom one and, the hallway one, upstairs in the neighborhood, and, I have one, and, the hallway has one, and, the playroom has one. All to the neighborhood. But, Mommy and Daddy’s window, and Claire’s window, they just have – they just have Oakley’s back yard. Our back yard and Oakley’s back yard, um, but, most, um, most, most of the windows just um… go to the neighborhood, but really, um, no most of the windows just go to the back yard, but really um, some, just some, just go to the neighborhood.
(Pause.)
Daddy: Yeah. That’s right.
Daddy: Well said.
Alex: What did you say?
Daddy: I said “well said.”
Alex: What does that mean?
Daddy: That means you said it well. That means you did a good job saying what you meant to say.

Daddy: What’s your favorite part about soccer?
(Pause.)
Alex: Playing with you.
Daddy: Aw. That’s my favorite part too.

Daddy: I also like watching you play.
Alex (as they pass the YMCA): I saw a old goal, uh, in the POY, just like the one um, the with um, the one with… our soccer.
Daddy: Yeah. A old goal, you said?
Alex: Yeah. A old goal.

Alex: A goal, is um… a goal, is um… a place where you kick the soccer ball. We have a goal at home. A soccer goal. One day, when – when I’m older, Daddy can we play baseball in the back yard?
Daddy: Yeah, that’d be fun.
Alex: Lots of kinds of sports?
Daddy: Lots of kinds of sports, yeah.
Alex: Yeah, but – we can’t play hockey though. If it was snowing.
Daddy: Yeah. You play hockey on the ice.
Alex: Yeah. But it would be really slippery and hard. But I have to get older like Caillou.
Daddy (laughing): Yeah.
Alex: Billy. Is, Billy’s older.
Daddy: Was Billy on Caillou?
Alex: Yeah.
Daddy: What other sports do you wanna play?
Alex: Like, tennis. And baseball, hockey, basketball. All the kinds of sports. Like soccer. Like I play right now!
Daddy: Yeah.
Alex: Right now we’re going to the soccer field.

Alex: If I do one, Daddy, will I still get a popsicle?
Daddy: Um, I don’t know. I know if you do two you get a popsicle. But you can decide.
Alex: But, I won’t get – if I decide one, there’s no popsicle?
Daddy: Well we’ll have to ask.
Alex: Okay.
Daddy: But you might – you might want to do another one. You might see what they’re doing and think it looks fun. You might want to do it just a little while. You don’t have to talk to the coach, you can just play with the kids.
Alex: But what if I need something?
Daddy: What do you think you would need?
Alex: I don’t know.
Daddy: You could always ask me.
Alex: Okay.
Daddy: And if the coach scares you, you could just come over to where I am. Get some water.
(Pause.)
Alex: Okay.
(Pause.)
Alex: I’m gonna do that.
Daddy: Okay.
(Pause.)
Alex: But – we still have to figure out how to get a – popsicle.
Daddy: Yeah. Well if you do that, if you do Coach Maeve, and then, you, go out with one of the other coaches, but you don’t have to talk to the coach, then you’ll have done two things and you can get a popsicle.
Alex: Two popsicles, you mean?
Daddy: No just one popsicle.
(Pause.)
Daddy: I wonder what kind of popsicles they’ll have this time.
Alex (excited): Maybe they’ll have… maybe they’ll have, um… maybe they’ll have… pencil!
Daddy (laughing): That would be funny.
(Alex laughs.)
(Long pause.)
(Alex laughs again.)
(Long pause.)
(Alex laughs again.)
Daddy: Silly.
(Alex laughs some more.)
Alex: I don’t know if they’ll have a pencil.
Daddy: You don’t know?
Alex: No.
(Alex laughs some more.)

Alex (laughing): A soccer ball in Claire’s seat?!
Daddy: A soccer ball in Claire’s seat, that’s kinda silly.
Alex: Did you put it there?
Daddy: Yeah I put it there.
Alex: That’s funny.
Daddy: Yeah. You know what I need to do?
Alex: What?
Daddy: I need to stop and check the directions, ‘cause I forget exactly which way to go.
Alex: Oh.
(Daddy takes an exit.)
Alex: You’re, you’re going into a siding?
Daddy: Yeah.

Alex: Where can you stop?
Daddy: There’ll be someplace up here.
Alex: You’re lucky that you have the constructions.
Daddy: I sure am.

Daddy: You know what, I think this might be the right way, I think I found it anyway.
Daddy: Yeah, okay. I went the right way. I don’t have to stop.

Alex: You’re lucky that you went the right way.
Daddy: Yeah, I am lucky. And you’re lucky I went the right way.
Alex: Yeah. Because I want to get to the soccer field!

Daddy: What should we do at the soccer field?
Alex: I don’t know. We’ll see.

Daddy: I’m gonna try to take the ball from you.
Alex: No you’re not. I’m gonna kick it – I’m gonna kick it into the goal before you do!
Daddy: No, I’m gonna get it.
Alex: You’re gonna get it fast! You’re gonna get it past me!
(Alex laughs.)
Alex: I’ll kick it – I’ll kick it on this side, you kick it on this side, and then I kick it first!
(Alex and Daddy laugh.)
Alex: I’ll push it in, before you do.
Alex: There it is! Right up ahead.
Daddy: All right, we found it.

Alex: How much people – are they leaving? Are those people leaving?
Daddy: Yeah. That was a different class, and they just finished. So, now it’ll be our turn.
(Daddy parks the car.)
Alex: Hey. Soccer flag.
Daddy: Yeah.

(Daddy unbuckles Alex.)
Daddy: Okay, hop on down. You ready to go?
Alex: Uh-huh.
Daddy: Okay.



(Daddy drives Alex home from soccer practice.)

Alex: Daddy, do you know what’s fun?
Daddy: What?
Alex: Going to see a rainforest.
Alex: Can we go see a rainforest?
Daddy: Yeah, we can go see a rainforest one day.
Alex: That’s fun.

Alex: Do you know where there’s a rainforest?
Daddy: Um…
Alex: And and – on, on a area?
Daddy: Yeah, it’s in – it’s, the rainforest is in uh, Brazil.
Alex: Oh. Can we go see it?
Daddy: Yeah, we’ll have to plan a trip some time, because it’s a long way away, you have to take a long airplane ride.
Alex: And is – is there any in Virginia?
Daddy: No, no rainforests here.

Alex: Do you like deserts?
Daddy: I like deserts.
Alex: Well they’re so hot.
Daddy: Yeah. But sometimes there’s a nice wind blowing, and then it’s not too hot.
Alex: When there’s wind, Daddy, can we – can we go there when there’s wind.
Daddy: You wanna go to a desert one day?
Alex: Yeah. If – if there’s wind.
Daddy: Um, yeah if there’s wind. Shall I put it on your bucket list?
Alex: Yeah.
Daddy: Okay.
Alex: And can you put the rainforest on my bucket list?
Daddy: Yeah I’ll put it on there too.

Alex: What’s a bucket list?
Daddy: You know what a bucket list is!
Alex: I know but – why do – how – how does it have a, bucket in it?
Daddy: Well, they just call it that, it doesn’t actually have a bucket in it. But it’s like all the things you wanna do, it’s like you’re putting all those ideas in a bucket. So you remember them.
Alex: Bucket list.
(Alex laughs.)
Alex: Daddy?
Daddy: Yep.
Alex: What else would be fun, um, because we can’t go to a rainforest today? What else could be fun? I saw train tracks!
Daddy: Oh, neat!

Daddy: Well I think when we get home, I think we should play at home for a little while.
Alex: Why?
Daddy: Because uh, Claire’s probably still sleeping.
Alex: What about – what about can we um, watch – what we did on the camera?
Daddy: Oh, that’d be a good idea, yeah let’s do that.

Alex: Uh, did, did you take a lot of movies?
Daddy: Yes.
Alex: Oh.

(Daddy and Alex drive for a few minutes in silence.)

Alex: Daddy! You’re too big for that seat now, you’re head’s goin’ up!
Daddy: Is my head too high?
Alex: Yeah, you need your own seat now, see?
Daddy: Yeah.
Alex: It’s bigger!
(Alex laughs.)

Alex: And can we watch the – the last one we went there? The first time we went there?
Daddy: Um, we --
Alex: This is the third time we went there.
Daddy: You’re right! Good! I’ll see if the first time is still in the camera.
(Pause.)
Alex: Why do you have to just check?
Daddy: Well, I don’t know, Mommy might have moved it off the camera somewhere else.
(Pause.)
Alex: Can you move it off the TV?
Daddy: Well um – we’ll see what’s on there and watch it on the TV. It’s probably still there.

Alex: That’s – that was right there, so the um, the cars don’t fall all the way in that forest, and don’t get stuck on, um, um, lots of woods, and they don’t fall in the trees and break them.
Daddy: Yeah.

Alex: Hey! Daddy?
Daddy: Yes?
Alex: He’s working!
Daddy: Who’s working?
Alex: That man.
Daddy: Where did you see him?
Alex: Up there on that house.
Daddy: Oh, yeah!
Alex: How couldn’t you see him?
Daddy: I just didn’t see him at first.

Alex: I saw another man, um, cutting the grass.
Daddy: Yeah?
Alex: Yeah.

Daddy: You know, we haven’t, drove around and looked at things in a long time. And you know that bridge, that we always go look at?
Alex: No, maybe it’s ready.
Daddy: I think they probably have done some more stuff to it, we can see what it looks like.
Alex: ‘Kay. Maybe it’s all done.
Daddy: Maybe. Probably not, it takes a long time to build a bridge.
Alex: But what if we bump into the pole?
Daddy: Then we would crash.
Alex: Well, no no no, there’ll be lot of poles. To make it stay up.
Daddy: Well, they won’t put any poles in the road. So if we stay on the road we won’t bump into any poles.
Alex: That would be hard.


(Daddy parks the car at home, and unbuckles Alex from his seat.)
Alex: Can you take off my shin guards? And my socks?
Daddy: When we get inside we’ll do that, okay?
Alex: Okay. Well, it’s getting a little sore.
Daddy: Okay, well we’ll take care of you when we get inside.

Alex: Mommy’s here. Mommy here?
Mommy: Hey, soccer player. How are ya?
Alex: Good.
Mommy: Did you have fun?
(Alex nods.)
Mommy: Good.
Alex: I did two games. And I got a red popsicle. And Daddy showed me how to play – the um – um – to run faster and kick the ball. If another boy takes it, if it’s far away from him, then I get to get it. And I can kick it in the goal before he does.
(Mommy laughs.)
Mommy: Welcome to competitive sports.

(Alex shows Mommy the marks on his legs from his shin guards.)
Alex: Look. Funny things.
Mommy: Yeah.


(snack)

Alex: How do cows open windows?
Daddy: I don't know.
Alex: They use -- they use milk! Cow milk!

Alex: What do cows call bananas?
Daddy: I don't know.
Alex: Mooduh. Moo-stard!

Alex: What do cows eat on their birthday?
Daddy: I don't know.
Alex: Moo-stard.

Alex: What do cows put on their cake?
Daddy: I don't know.
Alex: A kind of icing and it's call moo-stard.

Daddy: What do cows type on?
Claire: I don't know.
Daddy: A com-moo-ter!
Alex: That's a good one.

Claire: Why do the cows had -- um -- um -- milk? Why do the cows had milk?
Daddy: I don't know.
Claire: Because they drank it all up!

Alex: Here's a good one. What do cows type on?
Daddy: I don't know.
Alex: A mooster computer!

Alex: What do cows wipe their faces on?
Daddy: I don't know.
Alex: Muh -- moo! Mooster! Mooster napkin. Uh no -- moooo napkin.
Daddy: That's a good one.

Alex: Can we go see strawberries one day?
Daddy: Yes.
Alex: On vines?
Daddy: Yes.
Alex: Can you put that on my bucket list?
Daddy: Yes.
Claire: Can you put that -- that vegetable -- that vegetable -- on my bucket list too?

(Claire looks in the mirror after snack.)
Claire (laughing): Hey! I have a strawberry on my -- on my nose.


(Alex and Claire are shouting out the window, where the neighbors are setting up their party.)

Claire: Hi!
Alex: This is my sister!
Carly: Hi! I like your purple shirt!
(Claire runs to Mommy.)
Claire: Mommy, she said "I like your purple shirt!"
Mommy: Did you say thank you to her?
Alex: Say thank you!
Claire runs back: Thank you!
Claire runs to Mommy: I said thank you to her!
Mommy: Good job!

Alex: Is it okay if we go visit for a minute?
Mommy: Yeah but you have to put your shoes on.
Claire: Go visit, shoes!
Alex: Is it okay if we go by ourselves?
Mommy: Do you wanna go by yourselves?
Alex: Yeah.
Claire: I don't wanna go by ourselves.
Alex: Well I'll be with you, I'll take care of you.


(Mommy, Daddy, Alex, and Claire go for a walk in the neighborhood.)

Alex: Look, that’s a race car!
Mommy: Yeah, it’s called a Mustang.
Alex: It looks like my Grandpa’s red car, that, he smashed it all up.

Claire: That’s a lawnmower!

No comments:

Post a Comment