Tuesday, June 5, 2012

I like being your chucklehead.

Alex: I liked yesterday because I liked seeing the sand flying across!

Alex: Then we had to pack up so much! And we, almost, blew away! How much wind was it? Did you listen to the weather?

Alex: First it was a little breeze, then whoosh!



Claire: It’s warm enough. It’s really cold.

Mommy: I can go down there with her.
Claire (running over excitedly): Can you go down to the beach with me, Mommy?


Claire: Daddy, the little little holes are where no crabs lives in, because crabs are too big for little holes.


Claire: There's a mountain over there! You can climb up it!

Claire: Alex, there's a mountain over there!
Alex: Yeah?
Claire: You wanna climb up it?
Alex: No.


Alex: You can only go twenty-five and, no parking.
Daddy: That’s right.
(Pause.)
Alex: No parking here either.

Claire: I saw those persons park on that sidewalk, and there was a -- there was like a -- there was a kid with a jacket on, and it looked like you, Alex. It was littler though.


Alex: We’re walking across it on a bridge!
Claire: We’re going through tall grass!
Alex: This is like a cornfield!
Claire: It’s like a forest!


Claire: I saw a girl, that was a kid, riding her bike with her daddy.
Daddy: Oh!
Claire: And the daddy, was riding his bike with her.


Claire: I can count to ninety, Daddy. Watch me, watch me count to ninety.
Daddy: Okay.
Claire: Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ninety!


Alex: Daddy! That window is our room!
Daddy: Yeah!
Alex: I figured it out!


Aunt Sheridan: That word is “core”. Do you know what a core is? Like an apple core?
(Pause.)
Alex: Ah, it’s the round part, with the stem on it, that you can't eat.


(Claire explains to Grandma and Meg how to play Zingo.)

Claire: Somebody has to zingo it, and something comes out, and it has something on it, and you can put it on your card.

Claire: If everything is on your card, you can't put anything on the red, if everything is on your card, you get to win.



(The sun comes out.)
Claire: Maybe the pool is warm now!
Grandma: Maybe we can test it out.
Claire: Maybe we can test it out later after the game is done!

Claire: Because it’s really hot now!


(Grandma suggests Claire dip her toe in the pool to see if it’s warm, and Claire points out that she has to take her socks off first.)
Claire: Yeah because, if I put my foot in with my socks on, my sock will get wet.


Claire: This is gonna be really cool. This is gonna be what makes you happy.

Claire: Or it could be a person falling down.



Daddy: You're pretty good at these puzzles.
Alex: That's why I like puzzles.
Daddy: Just like me.
Alex: Mm-hm. I'm your ki-- I'm your boy!



(bed time)
Alex (sadly): We’re gonna hafta go home soon.
Daddy: No, we've got lots more days here!
Alex: But seven isn't really big, like twenty or a hundred or a thousand.

Alex: You don't call Claire “chucklehead”, right?
Daddy: No. You're my chucklehead.
Alex: I like being your chucklehead.

No comments:

Post a Comment