Saturday, April 30, 2011

We um, kicked balls into the goal, and I got four goals.

(Daddy is driving Alex and Claire to the cooking class at Romp 'n' Roll.)

Alex: Why are you going this way?
Daddy: I'm going to Romp 'n' Roll..
Alex: Hey! Silly Daddy!
Daddy: What, am I being silly?
Alex: You went wrong way!
Daddy: Oh no! Mommy doesn't go this way?
Alex: No!
(Pause.)
Alex: Can you go the right way, where Mommy goes?
Daddy: Okay, I'll go the right way where Mommy goes.
(Pause.)
Alex: Is this the right way?
Daddy: Yes.
Alex: Is this the way where Mommy goes?
Daddy: No, but it's... gonna get us there.
Alex: But I don't want to go this way.
Claire: I like you to drive, um, this, Daddy.
Daddy: You like to drive this way?
Claire: Yeah.
(Alex recognizes where he is.)
Alex: Hey.
Alex (laughing): That's funny! That's funny, it gets to this road!
Claire: What is this road called, Daddy?
Daddy: It's called Nuckols Road.
(Pause.)
Daddy: Are we going the right way now?
Alex: Yeahhh.
Daddy: Good.
Alex: That's funny. Because Mommy doesn't really go that way. She goes... this way.
Daddy: Right.
(Alex laughs.)

Claire: I like cooking class.
Daddy: Yeah?
Claire: I love cooking class, Daddy.

Claire: Daddy, if the girl where the, cooking class? Somethings are gonna, gon -- cook -- tell something, she, and us, we're gonna...

Daddy: What?
Claire: Um, uh, that girl, um, tells something, um... um -- we're gonna make, Daddy.
Daddy: That girl, tells something we're gonna make?
Claire: Yeah.
Alex: That -- that woman --
Claire: But you're not gonna be with me.
Daddy: No I'm not gonna be with you.
Claire: Are you gonna go in the grocery store?
Daddy: Yes.
Claire: Oh.
(Pause.)
Alex: Um. It's a woman, Claire.
Claire: Woman?
Alex: Yeah. Grown-up girls are called -- are called womans. Womans.
Claire: Oh.
Daddy: And what are grown-up boys called?
Alex: Mans.
Daddy: Good.
(Pause.)
Alex: So Claire, wo -- the woman tells us, what we're gonna make.
Claire: Oh.
Alex: So, can you say, "Wo -- the woman, Daddy, um, tells us to make." Tell that to Daddy, okay Claire?
Claire: Okay. The woman, um --
Alex: The woman.
Claire: -- will tell us to make.
Daddy: Oh!
(Claire giggles.)
Claire: We're not gonna turn, Daddy. Right?
Daddy: No. No, we're not turning.
Claire: No.
Alex: I thought I saw some wood in a big truck.
Daddy: Oh yeah?
Alex: I saw some wood stickin' out of a big truck, and I saw a big truck.
Daddy: Neat!
(Pause.)
Alex: I don't think it was a dump truck.
(Long pause.)
Alex: Daddy?
Daddy: Yes, Alex.
Alex: I don't think it was a dump truck.
Daddy: Oh, okay.
(Pause.)
Alex: What's that in there?
Claire: I don't know, Alex.
Daddy: Well, what's that right there?
Alex: Maybe it's just... muddy water. Do you smell somebody smoking?
Daddy: I don't smell it.
Claire: Daddy, it's Costco!
Daddy: Yeah, it's Costco.
Alex: I smell smoke.
Daddy: Maybe somebody's smoking.
Claire: I don't smell any smoke.
Alex: Let's see. I'll look at, I'll look around for somebody spo -- smoking. And maybe I'll, maybe I'll see 'em smoke. And maybe, and maybe that's why there'll be smoke, um, smelling.

Daddy: Okay.
Alex: Maybe that person's going to the grocery store, and that one's going to Romp 'n' Roll.
Claire: I wanna make something. I wanna go on, um, um --
Alex: Daddy?
Claire: -- make class?
Alex: Can you go to the ca -- um, um... get some, can you go to um... um, can you um, buy, can you buy um... um, more waffles?

Daddy: Buy more waffles?
Alex: Yeah, do we need any?
Daddy: No we have lotsa waffles. But if we run low, then I'll get some more, okay?
Alex: "Run low" may -- means, um we only have two more waffles left.
Daddy: Right. Or not -- not very many left.
Alex: Oh. Yeah.
(At this point, Daddy has just parked the car.)
Daddy: Are you guys ready to go? To your class?
Alex: Yeah.
Claire: Can we go to the may -- making class?
Daddy: Yeah we'll go to the making class.
Claire: I really like -- like -- to make.



Alex: And the North Pole. It’s too cold, no one wants to live there. It’s snow all the time.
Alex: No soccer.
Daddy: No soccer.
Alex: No basketball.
Daddy: No basketball.
Alex: No baseball.
Daddy: No baseball at the North Pole.
Alex: But hockey!
(Daddy laughs.)
Daddy: Yeah, they have hockey at the North Pole.



(Daddy, Claire, and Alex are driving home from cooking class.)

Alex: A real lawnmower.
Daddy: Yeah, a real one.
Alex: What are they doing over there? Mowing the grass?
Daddy: Yeah.
Alex: What is that man doing?
Daddy: I don’t know, he’s looking up in that tree. I don’t know why. I don’t know what he’s doing.
Alex: Maybe he went to get on his tractor, and, his tractor doesn’t work anymore, so he’s just, waiting for someone to come fix it.
Daddy: Maybe.
Alex: Maybe he really doesn’t want to do it – hey! There’s my soccer yard!
Daddy: You see a soccer yard?
Alex: But it was mine? Was it mine?
Daddy: No, yours is a different way.
Alex: Straight, left, or right?
Claire: Are you gonna take Alex to soccer now?
Daddy: Um, we’re gonna go home and have some lunch. And then, Claire will have some nap time, and Alex will go to soccer, and then, we’re all gonna go to Pop’s. For the work party.
Alex: Maybe Uncle Doug will be there.
Daddy: That’s right.
Claire: But. We’re gonna eat lunch first.
Alex: And – and her new work friends. He has, Jackson…and, some other kids. No – one of ‘em are six, and he might have luh, loo, lee, lose some teeth. So, when I get to Pop’s birthday, I can show Dana and Cam, that’s, that my, I can tell Dana and Cam, that my mommy has um, has a work --
Daddy: Yeah!
Alex: Who’s that?
Daddy: Who’s what?
Alex: Is that Miss Jeannine?
Daddy: Is it? I don’t know Miss Jeannine. I think that’s just a stranger driving that car.
Claire: It’s has a watch – it has a watch – it has a watch like Mommy.
Daddy: Oh yeah, she – she has a watch, just like Mommy’s.
Alex: A watch just like Mommy’s?
Claire: Yeah.
Alex: Huh?
Alex: It’s not Mommy.
Daddy: No, but her watch is like Mommy’s watch.

Alex: I can’t wait – I can’t wait for um – um – Pop’s birthday.
Daddy: I know. Exciting.
Claire: I won’t wake up Mommy and Daddy today.
Daddy: Good.

Alex: Am I big for Romp ‘n’ Roll now?
Daddy: Are you what?
Alex: Am I really big for parties at Romp ‘n’ Roll now?
Daddy: Yeah, I think you are.
Alex: But I’m, I like that place though.
Daddy: I know, well we can still go there for classes and things like that.
Daddy: But – can we go for parties, though?
Alex: Well if one of your friends has a party there, yeah. But now that your friends are bigger, they – there are other places they might want to have their parties.
Claire: Maybe mine, too.
Alex: Claire wants to have it at home.
Daddy: You wanna have a party at home?
Claire: Yeah.
Alex: What about Chuck E. Cheese’s, it’s more fun.
Claire: Yeah. I wanna do that too.
Alex: Okay. We can have your party at Chuck E. Cheese’s.
Claire: Yeah. I have my party at Chuck E. Cheese’s.
Daddy: I think we’re gonna have your party at home.
Alex: Why?
Daddy: Because that’s what we decided when we talked to Claire about it. But it’ll be fun ausebec you’ll have Nana and Pop and Grandma and Grandpa there.
Alex: But Pop’s party will be more fun.
Daddy: Pop’s party’s gonna be fun?
Alex: Yeah. Don’t worry about Claire’s party. Worry about Pop’s party.
Daddy: Okay.

Alex: Is Chuck E. Cheese’s not for Claire, because it’s for bigger kids?
Daddy: Yes.
Alex: Oh.
Claire: But I like Chuck E. Cheese’s.
Daddy: Well we can still go some time, just not for your party. We’re gonna go, um, one day Mommy and Daddy and Alex and Claire are gonna go.
Claire: And, can I go too?
Daddy: Yes.
Alex: When – on my next birthday can we go – um – um – to Chuck E. Cheese’s? And then, um, Neer, I want Callum and Neer, so we can play in, um, that big tunnel?
Daddy: Yeah. If that’s what you still want to do when your birthday comes, yeah.
Claire: When my birthday comes, I wanna play, with my other birthday comes, um, I can play with Morgan and Ashley.
Daddy: Yeah, you wanna play with Morgan and Ashley?
Alex: We can invite them to our house.
Claire: Yeah.
Daddy: We’ll have to talk about it some more to figure out how we wanna do that, then.
Claire: But are – are we gonna turn on – on this road, Daddy?
Alex: We can invite some of my friends, too!
Daddy: What’d you say Claire?
Claire: What are – are we gonna turn on this road?
Daddy: Yeah we’re gonna turn on this road.
Claire: What is – no what is – (mumble) – that way?
Daddy: We’re gonna turn on this road.
Claire: Turn on that road?
Daddy: This road, right here.
Claire: No what is, that road called?
Daddy: Um, Hickory Park Drive.
(Pause.)
Alex: Hickory, um, um, Hickory means it’s really wide. Right, Daddy?
Daddy: No that’s what broad means.
Alex: Oh.

Alex: Daddy?
Daddy: Yes.
(Very long pause.)
Alex: Um –
(Long pause.)
Alex: Um –
(Extremely long pause.)
Alex: Never mind.
Daddy: Okay.

Daddy: What did you put in your cannoli?
Claire: Um..
Alex: Strawberries.
Claire: Strawberries.
Alex: Put strawberries on top, and we put, color cheese inside… we had flour inside but we mixed it up. So we can eat it. We can’t eat the flour, but, we ate the strawberries!
Daddy: Yeah, you ate the strawberries while you were cooking?
Alex: We could take – we could take one bite out of it, so I took a bite out of the strawberries. I took a whooole little bite.
Claire: I took, one bite.
Alex: We got chocolate chips in it!
Claire: Yeah!
Alex: We got a little to eat, too.
Claire: Yeah.
Alex: And they were yummy.
Claire: Yeah.
Alex: One day, can we eat a little of chocolate chips?
Daddy: Yes.
Daddy: You want me to put that on your bucket list?
Alex: Yeah.
Claire: I want, put that on my bucket list, too.
Daddy: Okay.
Alex: But we already did our bucket list.
Daddy: You can always put more things on your bucket list.
Alex: How can you write down lots of things on pieces, on a piece of paper? Because there, there is, pieces of paper are not really big!
Daddy: Well, you could always get another piece of paper, and your list could, keep writing some more, on the next piece of paper.
(Alex laughs.)
Alex: Yeah. And then you could tape the paper together. Have a nice big one.


(Grommie is eating a carrot.)
Alex: That’s not a bone! That’s not a bone, that’s a carrot!


(Alex comes home from soccer practice.)
Mommy: How was it?
Alex: Good. I got a crayon popsicle!
Mommy: You did?
Alex: Yeah.

Alex: We um, kicked balls into the goal, and I got four goals.


Alex: Can you put this on my bucket list? One day can we watch Bob? Put that on my bucket list.



Alex (playing in Pop's yard): Daddy, look, a big pile of dirt! Can we go see it?

No comments:

Post a Comment