Friday, February 18, 2011

We have cute grown-ups.

(Claire puts on her polka-dot shirt.)
Claire (proudly): I have perkle dots.



(Daddy is drinking coffee.)
Alex: He can eat his coffee.
Claire: Coffee is not eating!
Mommy: No, it’s not.
Claire: It’s drinking.
Mommy: That’s right.
Alex: You can eat coffee.
Claire: No. You drink it.
Alex: You can eat it.
Claire: No.



Caillou: Hi everybody. Do you wanna play a game with me?
Claire: Yeah!
TV voice: Yeah!
Claire: Yeah!
TV voice: Yeah!
Claire: Yeah!
TV voice: Yeah!
Claire: Yeah!

Alex: Can we go visit Caillou? No!
Alex: Can we go visit Caillou? No!
(Alex laughs.)
Alex: We can’t.
(Alex laughs.)
Alex: It would be a, it would be a – we couldn’t find it anywhere.



(Daddy is looking at a picture that Alex drew at school.)
Daddy: Tell me about this picture, Alex.
Alex: That’s Mommy and that’s Daddy and you’re dancing. Alex and Claire are already in bed, but you have a drink.
Daddy: Alex and Claire have a drink, or Mommy and Daddy have a drink?
Alex: Mommy and Daddy. And these are balloons. And these are toys for Claire and Alex. And you have your big house to keep you safe.



(Alex and Claire are sitting at the coffee table, with some toy food and stuffed animals arranged on the table.)
Alex: We’re having a party!
Daddy: Oh, neat! Look at that!
Alex: We uh – we invited some friends over.

Claire: Who wants a plate?
Daddy: I do!
Claire: You want this one or this one?
Daddy: This one.
Claire: Okay.

Claire: Here’s a plate!
Mommy: Thanks!
Claire: There’s nothing in there. On there.
Mommy: Okay.
Claire: I’ll get some food.
Mommy: Okay.

Claire: Here’s some food, Mommy.
Mommy: Oh, thanks.
Claire: That’s a carrot, and this is, um, a sandwich.
Mommy: Oh, okay.

Claire: I’ll be right back.
(Claire runs off to get some more stuff for Mommy.)

Claire: Mommy, you want four, or three?
Mommy: Um, three.
Claire: Okay.
Mommy: Thank you.
Claire: That’s some water. That’s some water for you.
Mommy: Thank you!

Claire: Now let’s dance around!!

Claire: I need to go to the (mumble) and get some toasters.
Daddy: Okay.
Claire: And some bread. I need to go to the (mumble) and get some bread and some toasters.
Mommy: Okay.

Claire: Mommy, I wanna go pee-pee on the potty.
Mommy: Okay.

(Alex is playing with the Abby wand.)
Alex (semi-singing): Here we go, here we go, waving this – waving this wand! And then, it is a scrond!

Alex: The bed is a giraffe, it turned into a giraffe. Look.
Daddy: Neat! How did you do that?
Alex: I did it with this wand.
Alex: Your computer is – is – is money. See?
Daddy: Wow! How much money is it?
Alex: F – ummmmmmmm…
(Long pause.)
Alex: Thirty.
Daddy: Thirty trillion dollars?!
Alex: Yeah.
Alex: You spend too much money.

(Claire has the Abby wand.)
Claire: Daddy, I’m gonna turn you to um Claire.
Daddy: Hi, I’m Claire.
Claire: Now I’m gonna turn you back to Daddy.
Daddy: Hi, I’m Daddy.

Claire (to Grommie): I’m gonna turn you to Alex.

Mommy: Tell Daddy what class you were in today.
Claire: I was in Miss Arnold’s class.
Daddy: Oh good! That’s a fun class, isn’t it?
Claire: I was happy in Miss Arnold’s class.
Daddy: Good!



(Alex puts on one sock and his pants.)
Alex: I have one sock on, and two feet in my pants!
Alex (laughing): My foot is cold, my sock is on, my teeth are gold, I have a bird I like to hold.
(Mommy and Daddy laugh.)
Daddy: That’s good!
Alex: Now my story is all told!



(Everyone is getting ready to get in the car.)
Claire: Don’t forget me!

(Alex picks up Mommy’s pen and puts on Mommy’s sunglasses.)
Alex (pretending to be Mommy): What’s on my grocery list? Okay, I’ll write it down.
(Alex pretends to write something down.)
Alex: I need eggs and circle bread.
(Alex looks in the pantry.)
Alex: What’s next?
Alex: Some soda, and, that’s all.
Alex: All done.



(dinner)
Mommy (to Daddy): We have cute kids.
(Pause.)
Alex (to Mommy): We have cute grown-ups.



(Alex has just brushed his teeth. Daddy is downstairs. Alex shouts down the stairs.)
Alex: Daddy!
Alex: Daddy?!
(Daddy goes to the bottom of the stairs; Alex is standing at the top.)
Daddy: What is it, Bud?
Alex: You wanna look at my teeth?
(Alex stands with his mouth wide open.)
Daddy: Yeah.
(Daddy goes up the stairs and looks in Alex’s mouth.)
Daddy: Wow, you did a good job! You’re a good tooth brusher!
Alex: Yeah. I’m getting bigger.



(Claire fusses several times in the middle of the night, each time making Mommy or Daddy come in to calm her down. This exchange is just one such trip.)
Claire: What is it on my clock?
Daddy: 1:19.
Claire: Oh.

No comments:

Post a Comment