Sunday, February 27, 2011

I love you too. Can you hurry up and leave?

(Claire shows Daddy her used tissue.)
Claire: Look, Daddy, I got a big crusty!



Alex: Handy Manny and Bob and Pop are builders!



Claire (singsong, entering the pantry): Nobody can find me in here!
Claire: Say “Where’s Claire?”, Daddy!




Claire (to Daddy): You be a mommy worm again!

Claire: Daddy, you be a baby worm, and I’m gonna – my hand’s gonna be a bird!



(Daddy is tucking Alex in bed for nap.)
Daddy: I love you.
Alex: I love you too. Can you hurry up and leave? Because Mommy might come in.



Claire (to Alex, excited): Daddy’s going to Costco, Daddy! No, Alex!
Alex: Oh I know that.
Claire: And Mommy and Alex and Claire and…
Claire (throwing her hands above her head): …and everybody!



(At Costco. Daddy wanders off and then comes back.)
Claire: Daddy!
Daddy: Claire!
Claire: We didn't know where you were!

Claire: What did you walk – what did you walk – what did you walk to?

Claire: Trash can! Daddy, I saw a trash can!
Daddy: Wow.



(driving home from Costco)

Alex (pointing to the car dealership): That's the car store, where you can get your tires fixed.

Alex: If you run out of air.
Alex: Or your bus, or your truck. Um, airplanes don't have tires, right?
Daddy: Actually, they do.
Alex: Oh. But not a helicopter.

Alex: Not a helicopter and not a rocket ship.

Claire: What's this road?
Daddy: This is Gaskins. Do you know why it’s called Gaskins?
Claire: Yeah.
Daddy: Why?
Alex: Because you can buy gas on it!

Alex: I saw a stack of clothes.

Claire: I saw um a black trailer.

Claire: What's this song?
Mommy: I don’t know.
(The song continues playing.)
Song’s chorus: Would you hold it against me?
Alex: It’s, it’s um – “Hold It Against Me.”

Alex: Hey Daddy, um, on Caillou, Caillou was at home, and his mommy and daddy went to a party, and his grandpa came over, and Caillou said “Is that your surprise, in the bag?”, and his grandpa said “No, these are my dirty socks.”
(Alex cracks up.)

Claire: A motorcycle!

(This is a few minutes after the first time Alex told this story.)
Alex: And Daddy?
Daddy: Yes?
Alex: When Caillou got up, and Mommy and Daddy were getting ready for the party, Grandpa came over and Caillou said “In that bag, is that my surprise?”, and Grandpa said “Those are my dirty socks.”
(Alex laughs.)
Alex (sincerely): Did I already tell you that?

(The car passes Primrose.)
Mommy: They're gonna expand the parking lot.
Alex: What's a parking lot -- why are they gonna expand -- what's “expand” mean?

(The car enters our neighborhood. Everyone is, of course, still in the car.)
Claire: Did you make dinner, Mommy?
Mommy (sarcastically): Um, yeah.
Alex (astounded): Already?!



(Alex is lying in bed.)
Alex: I love you too, Elly.
Alex: Now, go to bed, okay?
Elly: Okay.

Elly: Let’s play, Alex.
Alex: No Elly, time to sleep. Isn’t everybody tired?


Alex: I’m gonna sleep on Bobo.
Bobo: Alex, do you love me?
Alex: I love you, Bobo. I also like to sleep on you, but when you get hot, I don’t like to sleep on it.
Alex: But you can’t feel it.
Bobo: Yeah I can’t. Not me.
Alex: I know, I love you.
Alex: You guys, can’t you not wake me up again? I am trying to sleep. And I want to.
Bobo: Okay.
(Bobo whimpers.)
Alex: Even when I’m sleeping I love you, even when I’m mad, even when you get timeouts, even when you are, when it’s your birthday, I love you lots and lots and lots.


Alex: When their light is on, they’re awake.
(Bobo mumbles.)
Alex: Well they have to clean up a little bit.
(Bobo mumbles.)
Alex: They don’t sleep, even when they’re in bed, they’re not in our room.
(Bobo mumbles.)
Alex: I’m your daddy, but I call my daddy “Daddy”. Because our daddy’s – our big guy, the big man is daddy, and the little woman is mommy.
(More conversation ensues.)
Alex (sounding frustrated that Bobo won’t leave him alone): I have to get some sleep!
(Alex sighs, sounding put-upon.)


(A few minutes later.)
Alex (frustrated): ‘Cause! I do love you! Now I need to sleep, I need to drift, I need to drift off to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment