Thursday, November 3, 2011

Penguins make popsicles?

Claire: Daddy, you know what meltes?
Daddy: What?
Claire: Ice.
Daddy: Oh!
Claire: And, a popsicle.

Alex: Since they’re made out of ice, I think they’re made at the North Pole.
Alex: You eat ‘em outside in the cold! And then they – get all cold. And turn into ice!
Claire: They go in the ‘frigerator. They go in the ‘frigerator and get cold.
Alex: Well. They might make ‘em in the North Pole, Daddy. Because it’s so cold there.
Claire: But there are penguins.
Alex: Penguins make popsicles?
Claire and Alex: No!!!!
Alex: But, I think Santa makes them. Santa makes them.
Claire: No he doesn’t, no.
Alex: Where he lives! At the South Pole.
Claire: No.
Alex: Does he live at the South Pole or the North Pole, Daddy?
Daddy: The North Pole.
Alex: Okay.
Claire: You don’t get a (fly?), because it does – because it doesn’t work at the North Pole.

Alex: Daddy? A long time ago, animals choose their coats.
Daddy: They did?
Alex: Right?
Daddy: Oh, yeah.
Claire: No.
Alex: Yeah.
Claire: They don’t.
Alex: Penguins, and polar bears…
Claire: No they don’t.
Alex: Yeah.
Claire: No they don’t.
Alex: They, uh
Claire: No they don’t.
Alex: It’s sorta like fur.
Claire: Really they don’t.
Alex: Really they do.
Claire: Really they don’t.
Alex: They really have coats.
Claire: No.
Alex: Well, Claire, the fur is their coats.
Claire: No it doesn’t.
Alex: Yeah it is.
Alex: Daddy it is, right?
Daddy: Right.

Alex: And polar bears and penguins and seals.
Claire: No!
Alex: Whales.
Claire: No!
Alex: Got their coats a long time ago, right Daddy?
Daddy: Yeah.
Claire: No!

Claire: Really they don’t, Alex.
Alex: It’s true.
Claire: Yeah, really they don’t. It’s true, they don’t.
Alex: But I’m saying it’s true.
Claire: I’m saying it’s true. First.
Alex: Well, at school I learned that penguins have got their – got their coats on a story. Well, I’ve learned, that animals choose their coats. Well, I saw that animals choose their tails too, but, they don’t really choose their tails. (Pause.) So, it’s true.
Claire: No! That’s not true. That’s not true.
Alex: How ‘bout we start arguing off this? Arguing.
Claire: No. I don’t wanna argue.


(dinner)

(Alex and Claire are ad-libbing.)
Alex: It’s just Mommy and me. Claire’s still not here.
Daddy: Oh. Where is she?
Alex: She’s spending the night at Nana’s.
(Daddy laughs.)
Daddy: When will she be back?
Claire: On Tuesday.

(Mommy shows Daddy the Happy Gram that Claire got at school.)
Mommy: Did you see this?
Claire (proudly): I got a Happy Gram!!
Daddy: Oh, good for you!
Claire: You know what I got?
Daddy: What?
Claire: I need to tell you a secret.
Daddy: Okay.
(Daddy leans in for the secret.)
Claire (whispering excitedly): I got the book bag!

(Alex, Claire, and Mommy go upstairs for bath, then Alex comes back down by himself.)
Alex: Daddy, I want you to come up with me. Because I love you. So I want you to be with me.
Daddy: Okay, I’ll be right up.
Alex: Sometimes I want to be with Mommy and sometimes I want to be with you. ‘Cause you’re a nice daddy.


(Daddy walks out of the room.)
Claire: Hey! Daddy disappeared!
Alex: Uh-huh. Maybe he went to a witch's castle, and –
(Daddy returns.)
Claire: There he is!
Alex: Uh-huh. Maybe he went to the coffee store and got some coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment