Sunday, April 8, 2012

There’s a lot of stuff going on in my nose.

(Claire has two chocolate bunnies.)
Claire: Daddy, after breakfast we’re gonna have this.
Daddy: Wow.
Claire: Mommy gave us this, and the bunny rabbit gave us this.
Daddy: Wow.

Alex: There’s a lot of stuff going on in my nose.
Daddy: Yeah?
Alex: This nostril is bloody and this nostril is goo.
Daddy: I’m sorry, buddy.
Claire: Like the goop place at the water game.
Alex: Yeah, but, it isn’t black. It’s yellow.
Claire: Yellow?
Alex: Uh-huh. That’s what goo is.
Claire: Oh, goo. That’s yucky. Goo is yucky.
Claire: When you eat goo, it’s yucky.


Claire: I’m eating his ear.
Daddy: That’s a big piece of chocolate!
Claire: Uh-huh.
Daddy: You must be a special girl.
Claire: Yeah.
Alex: This special girl, when she was a baby, she grew into a girl that loves candy.
(Alex laughs.)


(in the car on the way to Grandma’s and Grandpa’s house)

Alex: And it’s fun because there’s lots of trees on the way to Grandma’s. So you can play lots of tree games. Grandma lives in the forest.

Claire: It’s taking so long to get to Grandma’s house.
Alex: I told you, Claire.
Claire: It’s taking a thousand minutes.
Alex: No, it’s only an hour.


(in the car on the way to Riverside Diner)

Alex: I wanna sit beside Virginia. I like talking to her.
Daddy: Okay.
Claire: And I wanna sit next to, um, Meg.
Daddy: Okay.
Claire: And you, Daddy.


(in the car, driving home from Grandma’s and Grandpa’s house)

Claire (sadly): Daddy, when are we gonna go back?

Claire: But when are we gonna come back? I love Grandma’s.


Alex: Claire, I have a better idea. Let’s look out for faraway cars and try to catch up with them. Remember we did that on the way to Grandma’s?


Claire: Alex, can you count to one hundred?
Alex: I can, but I don’t really want to count that high.
Claire: Can you count to thirty?
(Alex counts to thirty.)
Alex: Do you want me to count to one hundred?
Claire: Yeah.
Alex: Thirty one, thirty two, thirty three, thirty four, thirty five, thirty six– do you want me to start at one?
Claire: Yeah.
(Alex starts at one, and counts to one hundred.)
Alex: Do you want me to count to…
Claire: One hundred and one!
Alex: How about one hundred and ninety?
Claire: Okay.
(Alex keeps counting upward from one hundred.)

Claire: Daddy? When it’s your birthday, you get presents, right?
Daddy: That’s right.
Claire: Oh.
(Pause.)
Claire: Daddy? What day is my birthday?
Daddy: June thirtieth.
Claire: Oh.

Alex (still counting): One hundred and ninety five, one hundred and ninety six…
Alex (to Claire): What comes after one hundred and ninety six?
Claire: One hundred and ninety seven.
Alex: One hundred and ninety seven, one hundred and ninety eight, one hundred and ninety nine…
Alex (to Claire): What comes after one hundred and ninety nine?
Claire: I don’t know what is after that. I don’t know what it is. Just tell your own self what it is.

(After Daddy tells him that two hundred comes after one hundred and ninety nine, Alex ultimately counts up to two hundred fifty nine before reaching home.)

No comments:

Post a Comment